Friday, September 23, 2011

Happy First Day of Fall!

Today is the first day of fall.

The first leaves are starting to come down, and my kids eagerly reminded me that's it's almost time for "Leaf Village!"


What is Leaf Village you ask? It is a town I "let" them make last year out of the fallen leaves in our yard.


To create Leaf Village, one had to rake the leaves into neat piles that were then labeled "House," "School" and "Bench," the last one being designated the sitting-on pile. There was of course, also a town swimming pool. And yes, diving was permitted.


And even more ironic to me, all the neighborhood kids enjoyed helping to make Leaf Village - our yard being the only on the block where the leaves weren't miraculous blown away from a garden service while the kids were at school.

I can only imagine what their parents thought.

13 comments:

Blueviolet said...

You're the FUN mom in the neighborhood!

RandomHandprints said...

ha! i only wish i was that mom....

MannahattaMamma said...

A big bronx cheer to the tidy leaf-blown lawns. That's always struck me as a totally ridiculous process: blow the leaves away into the street, rake them up and then...blow them away again? Sisyphus, anyone? Love the leaf piles--one of the fondest memories of my own suburban (pre-invention of hte leaf blower) childhood...good for you for going old school!

Chaseyourdreams said...

Oh, I love the Leaf Village! I think we will build one of those this fall as well. Still very green here in NC though. Thanks for stopping by my blog!

Elizabeth-Flourish in Progress said...

Who cares what the parents thought....the kids thought you were the coolest mom on the block. =)

Diane said...

That looks like so much fun!

Glamamom said...

Aw! That looks like a blast. I would have joined in (if my outfit permitted)

Holly said...

I am so jealous. We do not have nearly any fallen leaves yet and I want some! I love fall!

RandomHandprints said...

i'd be happy to ship some of ours down to you!

RandomHandprints said...

any outfit works in leaf village! you should come join us in the 'burbs to experience the new construction in 2012.

RandomHandprints said...

thanks, it really is fun!

RandomHandprints said...

er i dont know about coolest mom, but some kinda mom that's for sure....

RandomHandprints said...

thanks, also i noticed my husband googled bronx cheer. always nice to learn something new!

{Keep Reading}

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...